Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Kochi

Chinese fishing nets


Chinese fishing nets


Driving Piles - Keralan style

Chacko is clearly the man

Protesters in Bangalore, followed closely by armor-clad riot police.


It's interesting to observe how the type of traveller present in a particular area changes as one moves throughout India. My initial impression of Kochi is that it appeals largely to affluent short term term tourists... El-cheapo dhaba rats such as myself are less well represented. Makes sense too, I've found the south of India to be much more relaxed than the north. Of course there are still scams... but it feels much more like a game here. People will more likely try to charm you out of your money rather than use any other method.
I spent a day in Bangalore enroute to here from Hampi. It's a big city, and parts of it are shockingly westernized: Air conditinoned malls full of western stores, english spoken everywhere by everyone..... And there are massive protests happening there. The state of Karnataka is on strike. I wish I could say what it is all about. The best I can do at the moment is pass along the word of mouth explanation given to me by a fellow traveller: Apparently it has something to do with a dam being built or some water being diverted, and certain places in Karnataka are suffering because of it.
Regardless of the reasons behind it, the end result is that Karnataka ain't working. Many shops and factories aren't open, and the buses don't run. Fortunately for me, the railway is a national resource and was running normally.
Added a couple of extra pictures to the "Hampi photos" post.

No comments: